Getting a scholarship at college is one of the biggest dreams of all students, irrespective of financial status. The financial crisis is no doubt the most common reason to apply for a college scholarship for students belonging to medium and low-income families. However, this is only one of the several reasons. Large numbers of students apply for college scholarships as winning a full fee waiver is a matter of pride, both for the student and his parents. To win a college scholarship, you must write a winning college scholarship essay as well. Writing such essays is not at all difficult for experts, but the college with less developed writing skills must follow some easy-to-understand guidelines for college scholarship essays. Let’s start the article by writing the definition of this type of essay first, and then we will discuss some important formatting and structuring guidelines.
College Scholarship essays- A brief description:
A scholarship essay is a short and formal document that students applying for a scholarship must attach with their application form. It is compulsory for college students to write this type of essay due to several reasons. The most obvious reason for this is that it provides financial aid facilities at your university to know the reason why a student is applying for the student. Thereby, while writing such essays, one must provide a valid reason for applying for the announced scholarship. Later on, if the committee finds you the most deserving candidate for the scholarship, it will issue you a letter confirming a grant for you.
Structuring elements of college scholarship essays:
College scholarships can be in the form of cash prizes, fee- waivers, or monthly stipends. However, the structure of your essay does not depend on the form of the grant. Thus, the following is a simple description of the structural elements of the college scholarship essay:
- Purpose or reason for applying: It is the reason that persuades you to apply for a scholarship.
- Potential sparks that you own: It aims to highlight the bright side of your personality.
- Request for getting noticed: It is the gratitude or the request to committee to accept your application and give a positive response.
Formatting guidelines for college scholarship essays:
As it is a form of essay, so it must also comprise three sections: introduction, body, and conclusion. However, subjects of discussion among all these heads are different from other types of essays. The following is a brief description of the things important to involve in these three distinct heads:
- Introduction: Your essay will be worth-noting if you start a college scholarship essay by introducing yourself. It must answer who you are and why they must give the scholarship to you. If you are good at persuading others of your views, you must use those skills here as well to stand out. Remember, in this task, your reader will be the scholarship committee, so you have to grab their interaction by adding a subject or thesis statement in the introduction.
- Body: The body is the lengthiest part of a college scholarship essay. Thus, to write it, you must take into consideration the following aspects of the discussion:
- Whether you are needy or have some extraordinary achievement to qualify for a scholarship?
- What academic challenges are you facing, or what will you have to face if you are not qualified for a scholarship?
- How the scholarship or grant is beneficial in achieving your future goals?
- How will you best utilize the funds or scholarship if granted?
These are only a few points to consider while writing the body of a college scholarship essay. You can add as many points as you want. These points only aim to clear your concept about the things to include. To get more similar ideas, you can review sample essays written by experts. For getting such samples, you can directly contact the Cheap Essay Writing Service, especially in the UK.
In writing a conclusion, you must summarize the key points. The conclusion of a scholarship essay does not resemble the conclusion of a technical or scientific essay. You need to do is to summarize the main points, restate the thesis, and expressing gratitude to the scholarship committee.
Length of a college scholarship essay:
The ideal length of a scholarship essay is between 500 and 700 with ± 10%. This length is ideal as it gives writers enough space to give personal details without irritating the scholarship committee.
In a nutshell, writing a scholarship essay demands a student to persuade the committee by putting some emotions and sentiments in case of need-based scholarship. However, persuasion devices will be different in talent-based scholarship. All in all, the above-mentioned guidelines are equally useful for writing both types of scholarship essays.